Soft Bread Snails
These wonderfully soft bread rolls are great filled with just about anything. I have used ham and cheese in this recipe but they are also great with ricotta and spinach or Nutella for a sweet option. This recipe makes six large rolls or 12 smaller rolls.
- 500g plain flour
- 250g milk
- 200g sliced Ham
- 200g shredded cheese of your choice
- 2 tsp yeast
- 2 eggs plus 1 for brushing
- 50g olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- Sesame seeds or nigella seeds for the top (optional)
- Add milk to bowl and heat for 1 minute/ 37 degrees/ speed 1.
- Add yeast and sugar to the bowl and mix for 10 seconds/ speed 3.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix to combine for 8 seconds/ speed 6.
- Set to dough mode and knead for 3 minutes. Remove from bowl and shape into a ball. Place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film.
- Place in a warm, draught free place to rise.
- Let your dough rise for at least an hour or until doubled in size.
- Remove the risen dough from the bowl and work with your hands a little until most of the air has come out of the dough. Place onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a large rectangle. Cut into 6 each portions (or 12 if ou want smaller rolls).
- Roll each piece into a long rectangle shape and place a slice or 2 of ham and cheese in the centre.
- Roll it up from the long edge and the roll from one end into the dough to form a snail shape.
- Repeat until all the snails have been made then place them into a lightly oiled baking dish with a little space in between each one as they will rise again.
- Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 25 minutes (15-20 minutes for smaller rolls) or until golden brown.
- Add milk to a bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until lukewarm.
- Add in the yeast and sugar and mix with a spoon until all incorporated.
- In a mixer with a dough hook or a larger bowl for hand mixing add in all the remaining ingredients and then top with the warm milk mixture.
- Knead with a mixture for 6-8 minutes or by hand for 10 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and shape into a ball. Place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Place in a warm draught free place to rise.
- Follow steps 5 to 11 of Thermal method.